There is a lot of misconception about hacking.
As a noun it means “an incredibly good, and perhaps very time-consuming, piece of work that produces exactly what is needed”.
As a verb it means “to interact with a computer in a playful and exploratory rather than goal-directed way”.
I believe that true Hackers are physical and virtual beings who believe that
1. In an ideal world, information (and software) should be free.
2. We do not live in an ideal world, so software piracy and malicious hacking is a crime.
3. A hacker is judged only by his skills, intentions and willingness to share his knowledge.
4. You can create art and beauty on a computer.
5. Computers can change your life for the better.